At Brandless, we believe doing is what matters. That’s why we’re creating a series of Brandless Field Guides that help you bring people together to leave a positive impact on your neighborhood, country, and planet First up: let’s help fight hunger.
Across America, one in eight people are facing hunger, and 23.5 million people live in food deserts with no reliable access to affordable, nutritious food. We’ve partnered with Feeding America®, the nation’s leading domestic hunger relief organization, to help tackle a problem that truly affects us all. And what better place to start fighting hunger than in our own communities?
Below you’ll find everything you need to plan a rewarding day at your local food bank for you and your friends. We hope you’ll learn a lot from visiting a food bank in your community, seeing how it all works and talking about the experience with your group (we know we have). Ready to spend a day doing, connecting and serving your community? Then join us for Give More Day!
Ready to get started? Download the complete field guide here.
Give More Day: a step-by-step-guide
1. Find your nearest food bank. Feeding America’s interactive map makes it easy to find a food bank in your community.
2. Pick a date. Check with your local food bank to schedule a time that works for your group. We recommend planning at least three weeks ahead since spots fill up fast, especially on weekends.
3. Invite your friends. Once you’ve got a date on the calendar, invite your friends! You can send our customizable Brandless invitation and create a Facebook event. Once the RSVPs are in, share one of these graphics with your friends to let them know you’ll be hosting a Give More Day to fight hunger. Be sure to tag your group with #brandlesslife and #doingiswhatmatters.
4. Follow up with your group. Two days before your visit, send out a reminder with key info:
- Hunger 101: share this Hunger 101 Infographic to help your team learn about this important issue.
- Food bank rules and regulations: Every location has its own set of rules.
- Travel plans: Make things easy on your group and include directions or carpool plans.
5. Make an impact. Be sure that your group shows up on time to get acquainted with the space. Roll up your sleeves and get ready to do some good. Snap a picture of your group hard at work at the food bank and share it with #brandlesslife and #doingiswhatmatters. We can’t wait to see you in action!
6. Reflect on your day. Before you go, be sure to ask your coordinator how many meals you packaged. We often find discussion questions are a great way to help reflect on our experiences, so we included some for your group. And don’t forget to thank your local food bank and hardworking group members.
7. Share your hard work. Remind everyone what we can accomplish together. Let us know how many meals your group served or packaged with these shareable graphics and #doingiswhatmatters.
8. Follow up. Thanks for doing your part. We’d love to hear about your day and how our field guide worked for your team. Would you share your experience in a 2-minute survey?
You can download the complete Give More Day Field Guide here.